Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Spanish Invasion VS The Island Underdogs

Yesterday was quite the day to be a football (soccer) fan, at least for me and my fellow puerto ricans. Why? Well, for those who don't know, the Spanish football team (I will eventually have to say soccer because someone is bound to get confused) was coming over to the island for an international friendly game. For them, it was just another game. For us, it was a David vs Goliath kind of confrontation. The reigning World and Euro champions were coming to our yard, and it was quite the big deal.

Let's invade again, but with soccer! Come now!
Last week, I got to see all the hype upon my travels back to the island. Clearly, this was an event I knew I was gonna miss because of my own lack of foresight. But no matter what, I was still determined to watch it somehow.

So flash forward to less than 12 hours ago, and I'm finally watching the game. I was excited to see the game, especially since it was my first time seeing our own national soccer team in action. Of course, we were going to be overwhelmed by the Spanish team. They are, after all, the world champions. It's like watching Space Jam all over again, but a lot less animated and with a different sport. That, and the fact that we lost anyways. But it was a 2-1 loss, so it wasn't so bad.

We still fought bravely!
And the fact that we scored a goal against them seemed to piss off a lot of Spaniards. It's like going to a fancy event and suddenly knocking over the ice sculpture that kinda looks like a swan. It's going to make a lot of people gasp, but some are going to think it was pretty cool. That's what our goal was like. We were all celebrating how cool it was, but a whole different crowd was gasping at the indecency.

Sure, this whole debacle has spiraled out of control. I mean, how else does news about a soccer game turn into two countries talking smack to each other for all the wrong reasons? I guess we managed to ruffle some feathers with today's game.

1 comment:

  1. I don't take any sport seriously, but soccer really seems to get folks riled up;some are even motivated to violence. The Mayans had an interesting version of soccer/basketball. The losing team was executed and sacrificed to the gods. Now that's motivation to win!

    ReplyDelete