Monday, April 16, 2012

A Sign of Recognition

Recognition is my favorite kind of ego boost.
Today, I got a much needed ego boost from Ace. He gave me a call asking the whereabouts of a video we made for his psychology class. Now, me being the video-making junkie that I am (but can't be anymore since I left) agreed and together we made a film. The topic we discussed were stray dogs in the island, based on a poem written by one of his classmates' grandfather. So of course we would turn it into film. Why not? It was a chance for both of us to have our ego trips, me for filming and Ace for acting.

The video was shown in class, got good reviews and was never heard of again. That is, until today. Ace notified me that the university will be undergoing some sort of evaluation where they basically have to show off. So I was proud when he told me that the psychology department wanted to use our film for the occasion.

Funny thing about recognition. Sometimes you don't get recognized when you're in your area, but you do when it's a different group. In the communications department, I was just another face in the crowd. Sure, people knew me for doing camera work from time to time and as the tutor, but I didn't have a level of recognition as perhaps other students did. And even though I am mostly humble, even my ego needs feeding every once in a while. I like to think of my ego as a healthy one, not being fed in excess and used in moderation.

But despite my slight recognition by a few people, I was never able to stand apart from the crowd. And in a way, I always wanted to be widely recognized for something. I knew that once I left college, I would just fade into obscurity, but at least this video gave me one last ego boost before graduation.

And yes, I'm gonna post the video here. Before watching, I do like to point out the video is completely in Spanish. However, don't let the language barrier prevent your viewing. Think of it as watching a foreign film, but not as fancy.


I'm glad at least one of my videos served a higher purpose.

1 comment:

  1. I really liked your stylish film and only wish I could understand what was being said. Perhaps you should consider an English version. But it wasn't very hard to figure out what was going on. You are an exceptionally talented fellow.

    ReplyDelete