Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Creepy Neighbor

Here comes the creepy neighbor!
Lately, I'm wondering if my latest attempt to make friends is doing more harm than good. I've been trying to shoot the breeze with some of the people in the neighboring stores at the outlet mall where I'm working. And so far, I was thinking I was doing well. But somewhere along the way, I felt I wasn't helping the cause by just dropping by and picking conversations with the employees. Something told me, I was becoming that creepy neighbor.

You know that gut feeling you get when you're working hard on something, and then suddenly you wonder why you even did it in the first place? Yeah, that's what my mind is torturing me with now. At times, my attempts at making conversations point out to a future friend somewhere along the line. And yet, at the same time, it's giving me a sign that I'm not being welcomed and they are just putting up a facade.

This negative train of thought has got to be part of the Mental Man Period (more on that later), I'm sure of it. Why else would my mind be going nuts to tell me things it doesn't want to hear? And yet, it can also be a warning to prevent me from making a complete ass of myself. Not really sure.

While not true, I still worry when meeting new people.
Either way, I'm not turning back now. I'm still dedicated in my hunt for friends in my local area, so I will keep being a good neighbor at the mall and see what happens. Let's just hope that this doesn't give off that creepy neighbor vide I've been feeling.

Let's hope the outcome proves me wrong. I gotta say, this has been the biggest social challenge ever. Perhaps I should search for another comic book store and seek those of my kind (kinda sounded like I'm from another planet there). It's times like these where you start to miss the college environment. I'm just glad I never took it for granted, because now I would like nothing more than to return. But for now, I'm the creepy neighbor who hunts the streets for friends screaming "Howdy neighbor!"

1 comment:

  1. I can sympathize. The years after leaving college are problematic in many ways, but as we get older it becomes harder to make friends, which is something we all take for granted when we're young. I hope you do find some friends in the mall where you work. I think there are ways to go about this without being creepy. Good luck. Besides, you always have your blogging friends.

    ReplyDelete