Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Flags and Fireworks

Having been raised in a territory, I don't believe we have given much importance to July 4th. For us, it's been mostly a day off from work, a day at the beach with friends, or just a day to sleep. So it was kind of curious to see how it was going to be on the other side of the fence. And even though I spent some time living in the states before, it's just now that I actually did some observation.

I spent most of my day at work, so I got to see some really silly stuff. First of all, people went a little crazy with some of their outfits. I understand you want to wear a t-shirt with the flag, a bandana, or even a dress with the stars and stripes, that's all fine. However, if you wear a jacket with the flag on it, you will always make me think of the time Borat sang the anthem. I'm sorry, but it just looks ridiculous when you wear it. Stick to a hat that has the flag or something instead.

You look silly, bro! Just stick to the t-shirt.

Also something I've noticed is people here tend to get carried away sometimes with the number of flags they have on their lawn. Are they somehow playing Minesweeper with that many American flags? Perhaps someone there is trying to impress a fellow patriot down the street. And if they did hook up, just thinking on the patriotic roleplay they would do only takes an intimate moment and would turn it into the strangest thing ever. Trust me, nobody wants to see a couple dress up as Abe Lincoln and the Statue Of Liberty as they try to get down and freaky.
I don't know, but that's why I'm assuming they have so many flags on the lawn. Perhaps the Minesweeper idea is most logical here. At least, I hope it's that.

Please, let it be just that.

And as I await the sun to set so I can see some fireworks, it makes me think. Holy crap! This holiday seems bigger than Christmas, New Years, the release of a Twilight movie (only for confused teenagers), and bacon all combined! And you gotta admit, it's hard to beat bacon!
So happy 4th to everyone out there! Have some fun out there. Hope you enjoyed this strange trip through my mind. It's amazing what random things I can think about during a 9-hour shift. Oh well, on to see the fireworks.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy the fireworks. I hope you get a bang out of them. Happy Fourth of July.

    ReplyDelete