Saturday, July 21, 2012

Road Signs

As I made my first drive across state lines, I wondered what the welcome sign for the next state would look like. As soon as I entered West Virginia, I was greeted with a big and colorful welcome sign. It was kinda hard to notice, but couldn't be appreciated due to the other sign that followed...an increase in the speed limit.

Now, I'm not a big fan of driving, but at least I can handle PA's 65 MPH limit just fine. As soon as I crossed the state, I felt like a broadcaster from the horse races was yelling in my ear "and they're off!" as I tried to increase the speed of the car. But at least the extravagant sign made my first state crossing feel a bit welcoming.

Too bad it wasn't the same once I was headed back into Pennsylvania. The welcome sign was hidden on one side of the road and really didn't call much attention. Really, PA? You want to welcome people into your state like a big nerd approaching a super model? I couldn't help but laugh at the contrast of signs, and yet, it all made sense a bit.

Being stuck in PA has been rather gloomy for a while, and my first trip into another state leaves a better impression just because it has a brighter welcome billboard. Let's hope Ohio isn't gloomy either, because that's where I might try next.

1 comment: