Sunday, July 1, 2012

Safety First, Accidents Later

Out of all the things my freshman year of college taught me, one of them was to not depend on a car to get to where I wanted. I had a mountain bike I rode to college as my main mode of transportation. Well, it was either that or walking. Besides, I lived on the other side of town, so it was a little over 10 minutes of travel (on bike). Either way, I was starting to get known for being one of the few people who biked their way to campus.

Riding dorky, but with class!

And of all those things I was known for, one of them was the helmet hair. Back then, I actually had a certain amount of hair to make helmet hair feasible. So when people saw me, they knew I came on my bike. And with that comes the other characteristic that made people look at me funny. I was the only one who actually used a helmet. Nobody dared to wear a helmet. I don't know why, but I guess they feared they might look like little kids, perhaps. I didn't care, because I wanted to be safe.
Side note: I always chained my bike once I parked it, but I never did so with my helmet because nobody ever bothered to even glance at it. Never got stolen, so it kind of made me laugh since it was never chained to the bike.

Should have gotten a "hairmet" to help with my hair issues.

That added precaution made my new college friends joke around with me regarding my bike safety. They all jokingly said that at some point or another, I was gonna get hit by a car, despite my precautionary measures.
So a few weeks later, it actually happened.

As I was traveling across the sidewalk, I happen to slip on a couple of rocks and smacked the back of a car with the left side of my body. Nothing happened to the car, but I did happen to lose my balance and injured myself. I tried to use my right foot to try and stop myself from falling, but as usual, I slipped on some remaining pebbles and sprained my ankle. But the fun didn't stop there. I also injured my right wrist as I somehow tried to stop myself from landing on the road. Yeah, that didn't work either.

I quickly stood up and got back on the sidewalk as a car was approaching down the lane. It didn't bother to stop though. Despite being injured and having sprained my ankle, the adrenaline kicked in and I managed to peddle my way to campus. However, as soon as I chained my bike and took my helmet off (revealing my always embarrassing helmet hair), I realized my right ankle was in horrible pain.

What just happened?

So I hopped my way to class. And yes, I was late. Once I stepped into the classroom, everyone stood in shocked silence. The fact that I forgot to brush off the debris from my clothes made it look like I was in a serious wreck. I apologized to the professor for being late and explained the whole accident. I sat down and looked at my classmates as they tried to recover from the shock.
"Who knew? I actually did get hit by a car! Good thing none of you said truck," I joked.

I don't know about you, but that's how you make an entrance.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you're okay. And that does sound like quite an entrance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talk about grand entrance. Haha! But anyway, did you feel anything weird after the accident? Like minor injuries that you might have failed to notice earlier? Fortunately, you didn’t get run over by the approaching car. I think that your helmet was your lucky charm. Stay safe, Luis. =)

    Regards,
    Cristy Witherspoon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helmets and other protective gear should be used for safety purposes. Wearing protective gear may not save you from getting in an accident, but it’ll definitely minimize your injury. It worked for you, right?!

    ReplyDelete