Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Pride

I know I haven't posted as much lately. I've been busy trying to get acclimated with the new job I started last week. However, it all went in a completely different direction. It's hard to believe how a new experience can somehow turn sour, no matter how much you fight it. It's been a rough week so far (reason for not posting), and it all concluded today with my departure from the new job.

So this is where pride comes in. It's funny how pride can make us do strange things. Pride is such an easy thing to gain, but also an easy thing to lose. It's kind of like the attention span of a goldfish, but not as impressive. Our pride can sometimes blind us from the truth or try to protect us. For me, my pride would not allow me to admit I was sinking.

I feel like I got tossed in a pool while I was trying to swim. I tried all I could, but I was eventually overwhelmed and had to leave the pool. It's hard to admit it, but I had recognized I wasn't doing well in this new job. I broke down and admitted my defeat, and with that, I was out.

I don't post this to be gloomy (despite this being a blog of humorous nature), but rather as a lesson. Sometimes, our pride will not allow us to admit we aren't good at something. And eventually, we will recognize our limitations and make a decision. For me, it was realizing I was sinking fast and wasn't able to recover. Pride can be a fuel for self-improvement, but it can also cloud our vision.

Before I go, I want to at least leave something funny (again, being serious in a humor blog isn't normal for me, but I needed to do this). I did have a customer with the funniest name ever...

"Rusty Dick"

No joke. That's his name.

1 comment:

  1. So you're no longer working at the Big & Tall store? I thought it was going well.

    ReplyDelete