Tuesday, December 13, 2011

End of an Era

Today marked the last day of my BA in college. Gotta say, there was a lot of anticipation regarding this day. I was hoping I could spend it with my group of friends and have a blast in the university, perhaps giving it one last hurrah.

But then again, reality isn't always like that. It was the longest day of my life! The place was completely empty, even the bees that hang around the trash bins were gone! I had just finished lunch with a friend and another left a bit before that, so after lunch it was just snoozeville. I went to my usual spot just to see if I could get some last thoughts, but the place didn't feel special anymore.

I got bored and left to my department, where I hoped the rest of the day would be bearable. I had to work my last day as a tutor there, but there was only one problem...

Where the f*ck did everyone go?
It was as empty as can be. Not a soul to be found. All the students had gone off to vacations already, and there I was...the tutor on his last day. Nobody to tutor, nothing to do.

Biggest problem? I left at 5, and it was only 1:30 when I entered. Thus began the longest afternoon of my life! I tried reading, but the absolute silence was distracting. It was too silent that it began to disturb me. I got used to the communications lab being filled with life and energy, but this time around it was a wasteland. I was there in an empty space, like the final scene of a sitcom. You know the one. Empty room, light switch next to the door, dramatic exit and lights turn off. All I got was the empty room, nothing else. Close enough, I suppose.

But soon enough, 5pm hit and it was time to bid farewell to the university that had somehow become a great part of my life. It was a bit emotional at first, but then about 10 seconds later I realized how messed up it was in there and I quickly jumped in joy of my new found freedom.

However, once I had realized my BA was over, all I can do is think of sleeping. My body is exhausted like nobody's business. Perhaps my body wishes to reclaim those lost hours of sleep that were lost during college? Perhaps it's a common effect in all students when they finish. All I know is this, sleep is my top priority now.

Well, at least for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment