Thursday, December 1, 2011

Bedtime

Remember when you were a kid and staying up past 8 made you feel like a badass? I know I do. We often wondered what it was like to see what the world was like after dark. TV was different, and so was the rest of the world. We thought it was cool to stay up late because we secretly hoped awesome stuff happened by then, only to find out there's nothing really going on. That is, until we reach our teen years.

As kids, it's cool to stay up late and be a badass.

When we were teenagers, we did the opposite. We were owls. We stayed up late, possibly until 3am or later. We watched all the TV there was at those hours, stayed up late playing video games, or developing a habit of last-minute studying to later be perfected in college.

Once college arrived, staying up late continued to be a habit. However, it kept changing as we get closer and closer to graduation, with us losing more and more sleep as we went along. But now that I'm also older, I'm finding it confusing as to why I suddenly have trouble staying up past 10. Perhaps it's because I'm almost at my mid-20's or because I'm mentally exhausted from my bachelor's degree. Either way, it's strange to see why I'm sleeping so early again.

Perhaps as we get older, we realize our bedtimes are something we establish automatically. Even people who party hard have a bedtime, but for them it's as soon as they get enough alcohol in their system to pass out. But for the rest of us, there's an established time that we give ourselves without knowing. Morning people tend to pass out at earlier times, whilst night owls tend to accept the challenge of a long night, but are too beat later.

There's so much truth in this picture.

But enough about talking about who goes to sleep at what time, I'm getting sleepy for some unapparent reason. My bed is just calling me, so it's time to listen to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment