Monday, January 23, 2012

The Awkward Trip

During my travels to nearby places where I was likely to both socialize with people who share similar interests and possibly make a friend, I ventured to a shop where they participated in one of my hobbies. I was happy, especially since my card games didn't have to go uninterrupted and it was going to be a great way to meet new friends. But then again, not everything goes according to plan.

First visit went well, getting to know some nice people and socialize a bit. However, there was a problem. It was too damn quiet. Yet, I ignored it and decided to return in the following weeks. It was, after all, a friday night. I figured the local geeks had to be elsewhere, perhaps. But then I returned. I don't know what it was, but I wanted to leave that place so badly. It was too dead, barely any conversations. I could hear my heart beating quite clearly. It was just that quiet.


I don't know what happened, but it seems that I have forgotten something quite important in my previous travels. Geeks in Puerto Rico are very different from geeks in America. We seemed quite versatile, but I get here and they seem like nerds. And even though I have the same interests and all, I'm a bit more social from the look of things. I don't know, it was all just very surreal.

Perhaps I'm used to the "jack of all trades" kind of geek, where we do more than just geeky stuff. I know they exist here too, but then again, it's a different culture so I'm not sure what to expect.

Perhaps I should keep looking in other areas. Maybe it's time I began the other social experiment. Time to meet random people on Facebook, maybe. Not sure yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment