Sunday, February 12, 2012

How Did This Happen?

When it comes to relationships, many of us spend weeks plotting that essential method of how to begin a relationship. We analyze that special someone, get to know them really well, and integrate them in our lives. So by the time we decide if we want a relationship, we try and figure out the perfect strategy to make that essential question.

But for me, it seems that I don't get a saying in when I get to ask. Well, at least one time it happened. Back in 2010, I was deprived of asking that essential question for a relationship, but instead got a notice.

Ace and I were playing pool near the university, so I asked Amy and her friend to join us. By then, Amy and I would have been going out for about a few weeks, but nothing official. We would each go with our wing-person on double dates and somehow end up with them leaving us alone (very clever of them). So by then, something was brewing. It's like when you discovered how Mentos and Coke mixed. You couldn't wait to get to the fun part, but you still had that build up.

During the pool game, there was back and forth jokes launched between us guys and gals. But at one point, Ace and I realized it was getting late (an excuse to go eat some food) and that we were going to head out. Amy and her friend stayed behind for a few more games, as we departed in search of food.

Half way home, I get a call from Amy. She wanted me to come back to bar/restaurant from earlier because she and her friend felt intimidated by some men at the other side of the bar. Ace and I didn't have to think it twice. A phone call that lets us be knights in shining armor? Where do I sign? And after the craziest U-turn ever, we were on our way back.

We didn't even know if we could turn there, but we did!

Back at the bar, we slowly marched in (with the sound of heroic trumpets in our minds) and found our way to the pool table from earlier. Amy greeted me with the biggest hug possible, so I knew I did something good. And with that, it was back to another game of pool. And then the silence broke...

Amy's Friend: "So where did you guys go eat?"
Ace: "We never got there, but we were going to meet some people there."
Amy's Friend: "You were both probably just going off to find some ladies."

Ace and I looked at each other and tried not to laugh. We didn't want them to know we were going to geek out, especially if we were getting credit for something we weren't doing.

Amy's Friend: (points at me) "You probably just went with him to see your girlfriend, didn't y...."
Amy: (with a loud scream) "No way!"

For a slight moment, there was fear in the air after she spoke.

And right there, I knew that sh*t just hit the fan. But I didn't know yet.

Amy: "He's not going to see any girlfriend, because I'm his girlfriend!"
Me: (trying to talk from the surprise) "Wait...what? When did this happen?"
Amy: "Well, you are."
Me: "Since when? I didn't get any memo."
Amy: "I don't know. But you are."

And from that moment onward, the relationship began. And all from a slip of the tongue. Even though six months later it would come crashing down, but that's how it started. It was one of those moments where you look back and just can't help but laugh at how it happened. To this day, it's still the funniest way a relationship has ever begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment