Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Leap Year

It happens every four years, so it's a very curious day. I think that it should be one of those days when we should try to do something memorable, especially since we won't forget the date. However, the fact that it's a leap year made me think about the last time it was here. It was exactly 4 years ago where I was once again adapting to life on the island after having spent some time living in Jersey. It was kind of like a second homecoming for me, so it was a new start.

And here I am, 4 years later on another 29th of February with another new start. Is it me, or am I going to develop a scenario where I start over from scratch every four years? I hope not, because it's about damn time I once again settle in one particular place. Ever since I started college in 2005, I had lived in four different places, so staying put for a while won't be so bad. And yet, the fact that each leap year has brought a new start has made me think about what I have done in these last four years.

I did a lot. I finished college, met some of the best friends I will ever have, had 3 relationships, got to find out what I want to do in life, and got to know myself a lot better. So one could say it's been a good four years. Come to think of it, this leap year kind of closes a door in a way. I'm just glad it's not in the dark, otherwise I would have busted my nose or hurt one of my toes in what can only be described as unimaginable pain (other than stepping on a lego).

So what do I hope to get out of these next four years? I would like to set my career in motion somehow, make new friends here in PA, and have my Master's Degree. Perhaps I could even see myself teaching somewhere along the line. I dunno, as long as it's all good. But if during the next leap year I'm once again having another fresh start in another part of the world, I'm gonna have to slap somebody.

No comments:

Post a Comment