Saturday, March 3, 2012

Murphy's Law

For those who know me well, they already know how Murphy's Law is somehow the antagonist of my story. While many would claim to have an actual nemesis or rival, mine has just been that law for some reason. It's always happening, no matter what. Why couldn't I have an actual rival like in high school? But no, college had to introduce me to Murphy!


The month of January was mostly the latest example of how Murphy got the best of me. Tons of interviews for great jobs, I was a happy college graduate with a lot of charisma and energy. Yet, two failed interviews and one job offer later, my luck started to turn yet again. My rejection of a sales job fueled by commissions and no base salary was just the kick in the nuts Murphy needed to mess with me again. Thing is, Murphy has kicked me when I was down. Having left everything behind to start a new life, constructing my new life has been nothing short of a 500 piece puzzle from the pharmacy.

And yet, Murphy's Law has never been able to defeat me. It's shown up when all my relationships went south, when a long friendship was broken, during my last job, and all throughout college. And since his last visit in October of 2010, he's been gearing up for this storm. This time, it's hurting me in the professional gonads.

This is the closest comparison I can find to compare this rivalry.

This has been a struggle that's been going on for years, with neither side giving advantage to the other. So that's the tale with my life's antagonist, the very concept of Murphy's Law. "What can go wrong, will go wrong." Ever since I learned that essential law, I've been incorporating an extra level of caution to everything I do. I don't think it makes me paranoid or negative, but rather a cautious person who learns not to take things for granted. And that, is probably one of the biggest lessons I have ever learned.

Well, that, and the fact that Murphy's Law can be a real bitch at times. But like all antagonists, it's all part of the job description.

No comments:

Post a Comment