Thursday, March 22, 2012

Thoughtful Things This Thursday

Day 2 of the Blogger Challenge, and I seem to be trying out silly titles in the process. Anyways, on to the main topic. In the upcoming preparation for my 25th birthday, I stumbled upon a thought that seemed like a good idea. I decided to hide my birthday information from my Facebook page. Why? Every time it's someone's birthday, people you barely know or barely talk to suddenly appear to wish you a happy birthday. It seemed a bit odd.

I mean, it sorta takes out the whole personal aspect to wishing someone a happy birthday. I mean, it's good for remembering birthdays. Let's face it, most of us don't remember other people's birthdays until we spend a few years with them, or until we date someone (because it's a do or die scenario on that one). So for that, I'm glad it's there. But we shouldn't wish a friend a happy birthday because Facebook suddenly reminded us. Come on, have we really gotten that lazy?

Quite frankly, yes. Yes we have.

So the thought of having a bunch of random people I either barely know or barely talk to suddenly appearing to wish me a happy birthday spawned an experiment. I'm taking off my birthday info and putting it the day after, just to see who really remembers my birthday. And to be honest, I suspect some really good friends might forget. But that stuff usually happens, even though someone reminds them at some point of the day.

Even though it's an experiment to see who really remembers, it's mostly to keep the day as calm as possible. I mean, who needs that many birthday messages? As long as you get it from those who matter, that's all you really need. Would you pass gas around strangers and just stand there? Of course not! You do it around your friends and then just lock the car windows. Why? Because they matter, and it's just hilarious. Same concept with birthdays, only do it with those who matter.

I can't believe I just compared birthday wishes to farts.

2 comments:

  1. Luis:

    I think you are speaking tongue in cheek and don't really believe what you are saying. Otherwise, you wouldn't be informing someone like me, who just met you, that it's your birthday. Now that I know, it would be rude to ignore this special day. So blame yourself when I say, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    ReplyDelete