Monday, May 7, 2012

Stand-Up Comic

Ever since I discovered my funny bone in college, I have been hearing from a lot of people that I should do comedy. While it's a very tempting thing to do, I'm not sure I can just go into an open mic night and kill. I mean, I've had some good comic influences growing up (Jim Carrey, Robin Williams, John Leguizamo, Eddie Murphy, Adam Sandler, to name the biggest ones), but I've always found one big problem when it comes to being a stand-up comic.

I'm afraid I would forget my own comedy routine the minute I enter the stage.


This is mostly because my comedy routines are just improvised. But when I get a good enough topic or story, I'm on a roll. This is why I've transfered my comedy to the written forms, to at least have a way to get my routines and stories out there. And if I ever did want to get on stage and perform, then perhaps now I should have enough content.

And with all of that, I still find myself getting cold feet. With this year being a rough one, I'm tempted more and more to giving the stand-up comedian thing a try. After all, it's the only thing I haven't tried yet. And since I know I'm gonna forget my material on state, I'm gonna use that as an opening joke for my comedic persona.

I can imagine it now, walking up on stage and suddenly looking nervous. I would start out with something like this:

"Well, this sucks. I can't believe I just forgot my whole routine for tonight. And even though this was free, I get the feeling some of you are already wanting your money back."

I dunno, perhaps something along those lines. I guess this might be the year I give it a shot.

1 comment:

  1. I had similar thoughts about doing stand-up when I was young but never got around to it--a nice way of saying I couldn't find the courage. From what little I know about you, I think you could be really funny. Just make people relax, put them in the mood to laugh and they'll follow you anywhere. When a comedian walks out on a stage we all WANT them to succeed at being funny, so the work is half done for you. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete