Friday, May 11, 2012

White Ranger For A Day

Despite not remembering most of my childhood, there is one day I will probably never forget. This might have taken place somewhere between 1994 or 1995, but I was in first grade. That much I know. Either way, I was just a little kid.

As a kid, I was obsessed with the Power Rangers and the Ninja Turtles (little did I know that Spider-Man and Batman would enter that category shortly after), so of course we would take our favorite teams during playtime at school and pretend to be them. During my escapades as a kid, I would often take to being the Red Ranger, since he was my absolute favorite. My friends and I (don't even remember who I played this with) would just go about and fight the villains in the vast world that was our playground. And after a while, I was the Red Ranger.

Oh yeah!
Author's note for today's youth: a playground is an outdoor place where kids used to play pretend and do physical activities for entertainment. No iPads or technology allowed. Seems barbaric now, but it once used to be the best thing ever. Kids today...anyways, where was I? Oh yes, end long parenthesis!

However, once the White Ranger came into the show, I quickly wanted to be him for a day. But then again, sometimes we shouldn't go outside our comfort zone. Either way, I was picked to be him for a day and I was finally gonna have my chance at beating the bad guy. But there was one problem, the shenanigans were getting out of control and it turned into a game of tag for some reason. We were kids, what do you expect?

When I was finally nearing my foe, I tripped and landed knee first on one of the stone steps in the playground. Little did I know, I had broken my leg. But being a kid, I just shrugged off the pain. I was the White Ranger, damn it, and I was gonna get the bad guy! We agreed to end the game because of my injury, but I claimed to be fine and went through the pain. So I did what any kid with an injury would do...

I should have taken a seat and stopped playing. But what did I know?

I tried to do some shenanigans on a swing and went knee first into the ground, going back to the injured leg and scraping it further. So then, it was game over for sure. I was down and out. I was taken inside and sat down while I put a gauze over my knee. Nothing else was done. But my leg decided to remind me how injured it was and decided to twitch knee first into the metal bars under the desk.

Yeah, if my leg wasn't broken then, it had to be at that moment. That was the last day I ever played as the White Ranger in my life. And once I was recovered, I was demoted to the Blue Ranger (the nerd of the group). Little did I know, that the his nerd title would follow me for many years.

1 comment:

  1. Nerds are the ones who created the Internet and now control the world, so it isn't such a bad title.

    ReplyDelete